Esperanza Fortes, Coco's grandmother passed away Monday evening, August 18, 2008. She went very peacefully and was surrounded by family including 5 of her 6 children and 8 of her 10 grandchildren. Lola was 90 and still very sharp, with a wicked sense of humor. She was born in the Philippines as one of 9 children. She married young and had a child and lost her first husband in WWII to malaria. She married John's father over 5o years ago and had 5 children with him. She has 8 great grandchildren. Her children remember her being in the kitchen mostly, loving food and providing for her family.
I always liked John's mother. She was had a little wicked side to her, and as much as John doesn't like to admit it he takes a bit after her for sure. She always remembered Coco was her granddaughter, NOT her great grand as so many others have gotten confused about. Coco used to always cry why she saw Lola. It was odd because she wouldn't cry with other people, just Lola. After a little while she would be okay, but at first just cry when she saw her. When we went to say goodbye to Lola on Monday, I had been telling Coco all day what we were going to do and that she wouldn't see grandma again. When we went into her room Lola looked very peaceful and I brought Coco over and she stared at John's mother and she gave a little grin...then she reached out her hand and started waving it at her. As more and more people gathered Coco just kept looking at Lola very calmly and seemingly happily and waving. The veil is thin with babies....
1 comment:
Coco,
So sorry to hear about the Grandma"s passing. Please tell Mommy and Daddy that I was saddened to hear the news. You look sooo big in the photos. I will be coming to SF on Sept.3rd for a month and will call so we can get together. I'll be staying at Auntie Joan's house. She has a large dance floor where you can teach me those new steps you learned from Daddy!
Can't wait to see you all again.
Kisses,
Auntie Carol
Post a Comment